Thursday, September 19, 2013


Yo La Tengo//"Ohm"

I sort of stopped liking Yo La Tengo back in the late '90s. "I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One" was the transition record for me, when they started leaning too much on the abstract noodling while I just wanted some punchy, catchy pop songs! MAN, "Electr-O-Pura" was like a perfect album.

They've gotten back to writing pop songs in their last couple of records and I started liking them again, even to the point of going back and buying all of the stuff that I had skipped post-"And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out", and yes, even learning to appreciate it. All of it.

You'd think with an album title like "Fade" and the song title like "Ohm" that they were going back to the abstract noodly stuff, but this record, as you can see and hear from the video and song, is really the brightest and poppiest they've been in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment